Possessing the extramundane activities of cessation and restoration, Lord Shiva illustrates the facet of being a maker of the universe(Brahman of the Upanishads). Lord Shiva shields the souls from the suffering and pain that a broken universe would bring. As the lord of forgiveness and compassion, Shiva is one of the most powerful gods in the universe. A devotee of his is protected from greed, anger, and craving, as well as all the evil forces that threaten them. Boons, grace, and awakening wisdom are part of what He bestows on His devotees. Lord Shiva cannot be summarized in one form, thus His attributes vary widely.
The sacrosanct month of Sawan or Shravan which comes just after the full moon of Ashadha is devoted to Lord Shiva. This auspicious month is glorified with great zeal and merriment by the Hindu Devotees. During this month, all Mondays are considered promising for fasting by the worshippers. These Mondays are also known as Shravan Somwar or Sawan Somwar Vrats.
In addition, many devotees observe 16 consecutive Mondays as a means of offering their devotion to Lord Shiva. All heartfelt desires of those who fast for 16 consecutive Mondays, Solah Somwar Vrat, are believed to be fulfilled by the merciful Lord.
Commencement of Sawan
According to the Hindu calendar, Sawan is celebrated in the fifth month of the year, which falls between July and August.
- This year 2022, the full moon of Ashadh was on July 13, followed by which the month of the Sawan began on July 14, Thursday, and will end on 12 August.
- There will be four Mondays in this Sawan, with the first, Somwar, falling on 18 July and the last, Somwar, falling on 8 August.
Sawan; How it is Celebrated
Assuring his devotees of protection from the imperfect universe, Lord Siva shields them from pain and suffering.
- During this month, the adherents visit the temple of Lord Shiva and offer Ganga Jal, or Ganga Water, to Shivlinga, or choose Hindu online Puja, as it purifies a devotee’s life of all kinds of problems.
- A Kanwar Yatra is also practiced, in which worshipers pump water from the sacred river and carry it to Shivlinga from the nearest temple.
- Furthermore, it is assumed that water should not be disposed of on the floor or other surfaces before it has been devoted to Lord Shiva.
- Thousands of pilgrims annually perform this pilgrimage in good and positive belief.
- It is believed that the worshippers are expected to fast on all Mondays during this month. These Mondays are also known as Shravan Somwar or Sawan Somwar Vrats. Many people book lord Shiva puja online services.
- Besides Lord Shiva, many devotees also worship Goddess Parvati, wife of Lord Shiva. According to Drik Panchang, many adherents observe fasting on Tuesday during Sawan month, which is also known as Mangal Gauri Vrat, while some couples prefer online puja for eternal married life during the Sawan month so Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati, guard and bless them with healthiness, luck, and togetherness for life.
Essence of Sawan
- Many treasures emerged during the Samudra Manthan, where demons and gods churned the Kshirasagar for obtaining Amrit (Elixir). It is said that both sides got treasured gems, animals, gold, silver, and Dhanvantari, among many other things.
- When the poisonous toxin Halahala was fetched from Samudra Manthan nonetheless, all the deities and devils knew they couldn’t consume it or they would be finished even if they are immortals. The poison was enormously treacherous as anyone reaching in touch with it will certainly die.
- Consequently, momentarily the deities and bogeys were strangled and began failing. Witnessing the dreadful view before them, Brahma and Vishnu implored God Shiva for assistance, because solely he owned the power to hold and digest such a toxin.
- Shiva is the supreme among everyone-divinities, ghouls and mortals, and even mystical creatures. Thus, he bore commitment and swallowed the toxin.
- As bore consequence, his body began turning blue. Parvati, his wife, was bewildered at the poison’s rapid-infectious essence and chose to take concerns into her own hands.
- Taking the form of a Mahavidya, she entered his throat to prevent the spread of the toxin to only his throat, hence saving him.
- As a result, daily devotion to Lord Shiva and His wife, Parvati, is observed by his disciples during the Sawan month so both can guard them against detriment and endow them with healthiness and luck during the ensuing month.
- As well as this, Sawan is the month of rain, which brings relief from the scorching heat and bestows lots of happiness.