Lord Shiva is the most feared deity in the Hindu pantheon. Mahashivratri is also called the great night of Shiva as it marks the holy union of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. Want to know more about the Importance of MahaShivratri? Please have a look on the article to get the most for MahaShivratri benefits.
- Keep a complete fast for the entire day and visit Lord Shiva’s temple. If a complete fast is not possible, you may have fruits and milk.
- Offer abhisheka to Shiva Linga with water, fruits, milk, bael leaves, butter, honey, ghee, rose water, yogurt etc.,
- Offer incense sticks and flower garlands to Lord Shiva in the picture or deity form.
- Visit a nearby temple of Lord Shiva and participate in abhisheka, puja and kirtan.
- Spend the entire day chanting “Om Naham Shivaya”.
- Shiva Gayatri mantra:
- The following is the Shiva Gayatri mantra suitable for recitation by the people who are initiated by a guru into chanting of the Gayatri mantra:
“Om Tat Purushaya Vidhmahe Mahadevaya Dheemahe Thanno Rudra Prachodayath”
Translation: “Let me meditate on the great purusha. May He, who is the greatest god, give me higher intellect. And let Lord Rudra illuminate my mind.” This Mantra is one of the best Importance of MahaShivratri.
It is important to note that any mantra recitation generates immense energy and the same needs to be returned to the universe in the form of tarpan or in the form of blessings to the near and dear. The reciter can give away the energy to the universe through tarpan by reciting “tatsa brahmarpana mastu” at the end of the mantra recitation. One can also distribute the energy through rays by blessing the near and dear. Whenever the energy tarpan is performed to the universe, one receives blessings from the universe.
- Lingodbhava Kala during Maha Shivaratri is considered to be highly auspicious and worship of Lord Shiva during this time makes one eligible for blessings and energy in their amplified form. So, keep vigil in the night and worship Lord Shiva by performing arati and bhajan.
- Conclude the Maha Shivaratri observance by taking a shower next day in the morning, worshipping Lord Shiva, offering naivedya (consecrated food) to Lord Shiva and breaking the fast with the prasad.
Maha Shivratri is the most auspicious occasion to please Lord Shiva and atain Moksha.
According to Hindu culture, Maha Mrityunjaya mantra is one of the most powerful mantras and has the power to change anyone’s destiny
21 maala Maha Mrityunjaya Jaap
Gold Plated Maha Mritingy Yantra,
For more details on worshipping Lord Shiva, please refer to our article titled, “Would you take venom and give nectar? Someone did that out of compassion: Lord Shiva”
Significance of the observance of Maha Shivaratri:
- Freedom from sinful reactions
- Good health, peace, happiness and prosperity
- Liberation from the cycle of birth and death
In 2018, Maha Sivaratri falls on 13th of February. OnlineTemple Wishes all of you a very happy Maha Shivaratri. May you all observe the auspicious Maha Shivaratri with complete faith and be blessed by Bholenath! Hope this article will help you to know importance of MahaShivratri